I got excited about the opportunity to prepare a welcome meal for the family, so I began searching recipes from Afghanistan and practicing how to make them. Then, along with two other families from our ward, my family was able to meet the Rahmani family at the airport, welcome them to America, and bring them to their new apartment! That was such a wonderful experience! As soon as I met the sweet mother I felt a connection to her and a desire to help her feel welcome and safe in this new life. I got to be there to let her and some of her kids into the apartment for the first time and see their smiles and gratitude. The mother (I still need to learn her name!) kept saying "thank you!" I'm pretty sure that is all the English she knows. My favorite memories of that day are seeing the smile on the 11 year old daughter's face when I showed her her new room, when the mother motioned for me to stand beside her and put her arm around me during a group picture, and when the mom give me 3 kisses as we left. It felt so good to leave them with a warm meal in the oven; I hope they enjoyed it and that it gave them a taste of home in this new land.
I left not knowing when or how I would see them again but hoping that I could! Just a couple days later my friend Cindy mentioned that she was going to bring them a few things and I asked if Katie and I could join her. It was great to see the family settling into their new home. While Cindy and I were helping the father assemble a toddler bed, the sweet mom made us tea and dishes of pistachios and almonds. Cindy shared (through their friend who could translate for us and who just happened to come by while we were there!) that we didn't drink tea as part of our religion but we thanked her profusely and enjoyed the nuts brought from Afghanistan! I also got to deliver them a T.V. a few days later and see the family again. Now I am hoping to find a way to keep in touch and maybe bring my family to talk with them and help them with their English.
Setting up the apartment:
The finished apartment! I'm most proud of the kitchen since that is where Jon and I spent most of our time, but it all turned out so great!
Meeting the Rahmani Family!








What an amazing opportunity and experience. I especially love that your whole family got to be involved.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing opportunity and experience. I especially love that your whole family got to be involved.
ReplyDeleteYou are so amazing to get involved and spend so much time helping others. I hope your kids remember this experience for a long time and that you can find even more ways to help this family.
ReplyDelete