We made the tough decision to find a new home for Mandy since I really wanted her to have more space to run free and I realized that even at our new house she wouldn't have that much space. We were also worried about her digging up our garden and digging out of a fence in our new yard since the soil is so sandy. It was hard for me, but I think this is probably best for us and for Mandy right now. We found a wonderful, dog-loving older couple who came and got her yesterday and I know she will be happy with them. They have 8 acres out in the country and they said that she reminded them of their old black lab Magnum who also loved to carry rocks around in his mouth! Here is his message to me this morning:
Just one super fantastic dog. She took to our house and surroundings like she never left. It took just one session with the walk thru doggy door and it was like she knew the moves all along. Now she can go outside any time she wants, which is about every 15 minutes, she loves it. Everything is much better than expected and she wants to play ball every day I think...will do. Thank's for the best companion I ever had...Mike
That sure warmed my heart! I'm so glad that they will both be so good for each other! She was such a blessing and comfort to me while I had her. Now I will focus on enjoying this month in a hotel with my kids and settling into our house when we get it next month.
Update: about a week later I got this email from Mike's wife :)
She's a darling. We love her. She got to see our local bear come into the yard and go through our garbage. Naturally she's in a fenced-in portion so there's no danger. That bear is smart, just kept going through the garbage. But Mandy is a good alarm.
Thought you'd get a kick out of this. As you know she loves her doggie door and comes and goes as she pleases. The other day she decided she wanted to play ball. She got off her bed, walked over to get her ball, walked over to the door and rang the bell to let us know she wanted to go play ball with one of us. The door was open for her but she wanted to let us know she decided she wanted to play NOW. She's so so smart I expect her to start talking at any minute.
We are so glad we have her and be sure she's happy and enjoys her new home.
Update 2: a few weeks later these pictures came with this message: "Here is our queen, she is doing great!" I love her huge bed and am so glad that she is happy. I still miss her, but I know that she is making her new family happy :)
I'm glad that Mandy found a good home and that the new owners love her!
ReplyDeleteOh! This makes me want to cry. I'm so glad that you found great owners for her. I know you must miss her tons!
ReplyDeleteOh! This makes me want to cry. I'm so glad that you found great owners for her. I know you must miss her tons!
ReplyDelete